Watch the J'Accuse video
"Institutional racism in Germany is 'as bad as the Stephen Lawrence case' "
Letter delivered to the German Embassy London 28 May 2014
Letter to the Chancellor Angela Merkel Of the Federal Republic of Germany May 2014
Dear Chancellor Merkel
Your post war predecessors and you have earned a reputation for claiming to have strengthened Germany’s status as a democratic nation, and one which values human rights and justice. It is my sad duty to inform you that your claims seem hollow, and little more than public relation exercises. I draw your attention to the miscarriage of justice concerning the death of my son Jeremiah Duggan, in extremely suspicious circumstances in Wiesbaden, in 2003.
Jeremiah was a British student in Paris, at the British Institute and the Sorbonne, when he was persuaded to attend a ‘Peace Conference’ in Germany. He soon discovered that he was amongst Right Wing extremists - followers of Lyndon LaRouche, a convicted criminal, whose message was that it was the British and their ‘agents’, the Jews, who were fomenting the war in Iraq, to bring about world destruction.
At 5:25 am on March 27, 2003, Jeremiah phoned me from Wiesbaden, begging to be saved, saying he was in danger of his life from members of the LaRouche Group. Within the hour his dead body was found beside the road, close to the LaRouche offices.
The Wiesbaden authorities, led by police investigator Inspector Schächer, decided there and then that Jeremiah’s death was suicide, and that they did not have to investigate. They declared they were not concerned with the circumstances surrounding the death. As a result, I have found myself in the impossible position of being a mother having to investigate the death of my own son.
I have evidence that the LaRouche group stated that Jeremiah was ‘an enemy’, who ‘deserved to die’, and that immediately prior to his death he had been in the offices of the LaRouche Organization, and that he had been attacked and chased.
In spite of compelling expert evidence uncovered, contradicting the police findings, and in a chilling echo of the Hessen department of the Bundesamt für Verfassungsschutz, who failed to investigate the horrendous Döner-Morde or “Kebab Killings”, the Wiesbaden authorities have refused to properly investigate Jeremiah’s death. I have seen how the Wiesbaden Prosecution service and the Wiesbaden Police Dept. have manipulated the judicial system to prevent a proper investigation.
Over eleven years they have:
- spread false and misleading information
- covered up and destroyed crucial evidence
- hidden the identities of people suspected of harming Jeremiah
- attempted to bury the case in delay, obstruction and falsehoods
In December 2012 the Higher Court in Hessen (OLG) gave a verdict that Wiesbaden Police Dept. had failed in their duties to properly investigate. The OLG verdict stipulated:
- that the police should act with urgency to set up Mutual Aid to get the people in France who were last with Jeremiah investigated
- that the circumstances leading to Jeremiah’s death should be independently and thoroughly investigated
- that the real possibility of collective harming by the LaRouche organization should be independently and thoroughly investigated
Seventeen months on, my lawyers have been forced to register a complaint because of their continued obstruction. It is only the third time in the last 60 years of the history of the Federal Republic that such a ruling by a German court has been handed down. Therefore it is even more shocking that the Wiesbaden authorities continue to flagrantly ignore the court.
A measure of the integrity of a state is in how far it brings to justice its own agents of authority. If Germany wishes to demonstrate to the world that it is a just and non racist country, it is now that it must abide by its own and international codes of conduct, justice and law.
I ACCUSE Chancellor ANGELA MERKEL
of presiding over
- an administration which shields those who corrupt their offices of state
- an administration which connives at the abuse of power by police and prosecutors, in that there is no workable provision for an independent investigation of the police and prosecutors themselves
- an administration which tolerates institutional racism
I accuse Chief Prosecutor Andreas Winkelmann of
- deceiving my lawyers into believing that he would abide by the December 2012 decision of the Oberlandsgericht (Higher Regional Court of Frankfurt) that the case should be opened, and that a fully independent investigation be carried out
- allowing the re-appointment of Inspector Schächer, the very officer who in the first instance, had lied, destroyed and covered up evidence, and blocked a proper investigation.
I accuse Chief Prosecutor ANDREAS WINKELMANN in that
- he gave a false undertaking that if we dropped our complaint against Pros. Schick-Jensen, that she (Pros. Schick-Jensen) would no longer deal with the case
- he reneged on this undertaking, in spite of having been informed by our lawyers that this was the very Prosecutor who admitted to us that she closed the case without reading the files
- in contempt of the ruling of the court, he allowed the appointment of the same Police officer, Inspector Schächer, to conduct yet another deeply flawed and corrupt ‘investigation’.
I ACCUSE PROSECUTOR SCHLOSSER
- of being complicit in sustaining a bogus investigation of my son, Jeremiah Duggan’s death
- of failing to comply with the ruling of the OLG court that ordered her to carry out an investigation with urgency and speed. Seventeen months after the OLG verdict she still has not set up Mutual Aid assistance in order to interview possible suspects and witnesses in France.
I ACCUSE Inspector Schächer
of giving deliberately misleading information in a letter to the authorities in which he stated that there had been a post-mortem when this was a falsification, as no doctor had performed a post mortem on Jeremiah’s body, and thus it was uncertain how the injuries were sustained.
I ACCUSE Inspector Schächer
of deliberately misleading the authorities, by describing Jeremiah’s injuries as if he were a qualified doctor, and in doing so, omitting to mention
- the absence of vehicle contact marks on the body
- the absence of human body impact marks on the vehicles
I ACCUSE Inspector Schächer
of deliberately withholding a document from the prosecutor’s file which quoted a Doctor Paul who certified that Jeremiah was dead at the scene, and who stated that a formal post mortem should be carried out as it was questionable that the body was run over.
I ACCUSE Inspector Schächer
of criminal negligence and deception in that in 2003
- he made no crime investigation of the alleged crash scene
- by telephone he gave the traffic officers who were at the alleged crash scene permission to allow the drivers of the cars, who were alleged to have run Jeremiah over, to leave the scene, and thus failed to interview them or any other material witnesses nor obtain verifiable witness statements.
- he destroyed crucial evidence for which he was responsible, namely Jeremiah’s clothes, which could have demonstrated that he was not hit by a car
- he failed in his duty to restore Jeremiah’s clothes and shoes to me, in spite of my legal right to have these returned to me, and my request for this
- he failed to trace the source of Jeremiah’s phone call to me, in which Jeremiah named the group threatening him
- he failed to investigate whether or not Jeremiah was in the EIR offices belonging to the LaRouche News Agency which are very near to where the body was found.
I ACCUSE THE WIESBADEN OFFICES OF THE PROSECUTION,
through its Prosecutors Brand, Winkelmann, Binoik, Ferse, Schick-Jensen and Schlosser,
of institutional racism, and that in spite of evidence in their possession, going back over thirty years, and in spite of being fully informed that the LaRouche network was a destructive extremist group posing a threat to the individual and a danger to Society (with its targets of hate, the British and the Jews) they have passed this off as ‘not their concern’, and they decline to investigate possible crimes.
I accuse the Federal Republic of Germany
- of being part of the system that fails to provide an unbiased and full investigation into the assault and unlawful killing of my son, Jeremiah Duggan
- of being complicit in and turning a blind eye to the racist attitudes and programmes of the LaRouche Group, which is named in the Encyclopedia Judaica as a major source of masked anti-Semitic theories in the world
As a foreigner in Germany, for eleven years I have been lied to, obstructed and denied my rights by the authorities. Eleven years ago, Jeremiah and I both suffered the loss of his life, and for eleven years we have both suffered the denial of justice in Germany.
In Germany, justice is treated with contempt!
In Germany, Jeremiah Duggan’s human right to a proper investigation into his death has been denied!
Until ALL the perpetrators of crimes are brought to justice, Germany is on trial!
I accuse the German Dept of Justice!
Chancellor Angela Merkel, I Accuse You!
Mother of Jeremiah Duggan
Letter to my brother
On the 10th anniversary of his death Jerry's older sister Louisa wrote a remarkable letter to her brother. Read it here
Listen to Starsailor's song for Jerry
To watch the Channel 4 documentary about the case 'Lost Abroad The Parents Story'
Erica relates the events of the night Jerry died on the Radio 4 Broadcast "Soul Music"
Erica remembers the events of the night.mp3
Jeremiah Duggan was 22 when he decided he needed to take a stand against the impending war in Iraq. A student in Paris, he joined a conference in Germany that professed a strongly anti war message. Jeremiah thought he was among kindred spirits, until he discovered that members of the conference seemed to blame the Jews and the British for starting the war. Confused, Jeremiah spoke out. Just a few hours later he was found dead on an autobahn. The cause of his death remains a mystery.
Jeremiah Duggan, a 22 year old British Student studying in Paris, travelled to Germany on the eve of the US invasion of Iraq, to participate in a “peace conference” run by a political organisation called the Schiller Institute (a part of the LaRouche Organization).
During the conference Jeremiah discovered that much of the polemic was directed against the British and the Jews for their supposed role in instigating the war. A war that he was told would set off a nuclear holocaust to destroy the planet and life as we know it. According to eyewitness reports, Jeremiah rose during one such diatribe to say "But I'm a Jew!"
For LaRouche background information visit: http://larouche-danger.com/.
Six days after his arrival in Germany, in the early hours of 27th March 2003, he called his mother in London and said "Mum I'm in deep trouble. You know this Nouvelle Solidarity [the name of the French branch of LaRouche Organization] - I want out!" Then he made it clear he was in terror and wanted to get away and said: "I'm frightened! I WANT TO SEE YOU NOW!" I asked him where he was but in the middle of spelling Wiesbaden the line was cut.
The German police decided immediately that this was suicide, stating that Jeremiah had run into the path of cars and they closed the case without further investigation. This conclusion was reached:
- Without an autopsy.
forensic examination of his clothing, which the police destroyed
without consulting Jeremiah's family.
- Without taking written statements from the drivers of the two cars said to be involved in Jeremiah's death.
independent forensic experts agree that neither the damage to the two cars nor
Jeremiah’s injuries support the conclusion that Jeremiah's death was caused
by a road traffic incident.
Despite evidence calling into question every aspect of their conclusion, the German police have refused to reopen the case. This is why Jeremiah’s family pressed for a new inquest to be held in Britain which they hope will finally lead to a proper investigation by German authorities and to justice for Jeremiah.
To listen to Erica's interview on Woman's hour click here
Latest briefings on the case:
Search this site:
shorter Press release March 2011.doc
Size : 30 Kb
Type : doc